Thursday, February 5, 2015

The Year To...

I read somewhere years ago that each year a person should decide on one new thing to try or accomplish or learn, or maybe even a new place to travel to. It is a way of marking each year with it's own special label...like "the year we moved to Charlotte" for example. Or it might be as simple as the year you took the gourmet cooking class or planted a new perennial garden. The idea is to be able to know one reason why each year is important instead of just wondering where it went. 2014 was the year I turned 60 and took the trip of a lifetime with Dave...a two week African safari. Absolutely unbelievable, but more about that trip another day.

This year is the year that I declutter and organize our home in Charlotte. No, it may not be as awesome or sexy as an African safari but it will definitely make for a memorable year. I cannot wait to clear out the cabinets where I have been "sticking" things for years, get rid of all unloved and rarely worn clothing, and especially completely clean out and organize our attic. I promise NOT to leave my children the chore of impersonating Sanford and Son as they empty our house one day.

I got hooked on this idea after hearing about and reading the New York Times best seller,

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing 

by Marie Kondo.


It's a quick read, and interesting and fun. Lots of "of course!", and "that makes perfect sense" sorts of stuff. I've just gotten started with my "tidying up"...the author insists that you begin with clothing. And if an item doesn't "spark joy", get rid of it. So far I have made it through workout wear, swim suits, and tops and sweaters (still one drawer left to go), and already have three huge trash bags ready for donation. Yes, part of decluttering consists of pretty much getting rid of everything you own. Hey, makes sense...if nothing's left, nothing ever gets messed up!

So, this will be the year of decluttering...updates and photos to come.

Aunt B


                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment