Wednesday, February 4, 2015

It's Puzzling

I have really been into jigsaw puzzles lately.  Seriously, I would estimate that I...along with husband Dave and other family and friends who have passed through during the holidays...have completed a dozen 1000 piece puzzles since early October. Really, it is addictive. I often find myself seated at the game table saying to myself, "OK, I will find one piece, and then head to the shower...". Then, an hour and 20 pieces later...

It all started in 1986 when I was VERY pregnant with my oldest son Ryan. We had a large puzzle going on the dining room table...a great way to pass the cold winter and very pregnant days. The evening of February 11 found me in labor, sitting with Dave at that table working the puzzle and waiting, and waiting, and waiting...but at least distracted...finally heading to the hospital just after midnight. Ryan arrived just after noon on the 12th.

Fast forward to October of 2014. My daughter Lauren was having early labor contractions on September 30...which had started the day before...and did not seem to be progressing.  She tried everything she could think of to move things along...two days of mild contractions but still nothing. Frustrating!! I told Lauren and Mike that what was in order was a jigsaw puzzle! Distraction was needed. We headed to Toys & Co. and optimistically bought a 3000 piece puzzle and the two of them spent that evening setting it up. We spent the entire next day working on that HUGE puzzle, happily distracted. Late that day Lauren went into real labor, delivering baby James just before 11 pm. Hey, it's all in the puzzle, right?

Anyway, since then our whole family (along with other friends who have caught the bug) have had a puzzle going nonstop. I am picky about my puzzles, however. I have two favorite brands: Ravensburger and Piatnik. Super good quality and 100% interlocking pieces...and no annoying shiny glare in the light. (It does make a difference!) And my favorite is the 1000 piece puzzle...fits nicely on the game table...do-able in a week or two.

And...no pregnancy required!

A 3000 piece Ravensburger (still under construction)...


A 1000 piece Piatnik...



                                                       
                                                                 Aunt B

No comments:

Post a Comment